- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 red onion minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground paprika
- 2 tablespoons of ground ginger
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 kg of chicken breast, diced
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 3 pods cardamoms coarsely ground
- 3 cloves
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of ghee
- 1 tablespoon of ground coriander
- 1 large bunch fresh coriander, finely chopped
Heat oil in a wok or skillet over high heat. Add 1/3 of the onion and cook until browned, add salt. Remove from heat and let rest on paper towels and set aside.
Add bay leaf and remaining onion in a saucepan, add salt and cook until onion is golden and crisp. Add turmeric, chilli powder, paprika, ginger, garlic and water, mix well and simmer.
Add chicken pieces and tomato slices, salt and add sugar, stir. Add cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, ghee and 1 tablespoon of water. cover and simmer over low heat for 30-35 minutes until there was no more water.
Remove the cover. If water remains in the pan, increase heat to medium. Add the ground coriander and cook until all liquid has evaporated, you can keep a little broth for the sauce if you like.
Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with chopped cilantro and onion rings previously set aside.
Serve with naan or basmati rice.