- 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless skinless cubed
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon of Cumin powder
- 4 red chillies, seeded and minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 2 cups of cooked white rice
Brush over with black pepper, turmeric and salt over chicken, then cover and marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
In a small skillet over medium heat, toast dry mustard seeds for a few seconds,then remove from pan and repeat with fenugreek seeds. Be careful not to burn the spices.
Mix the mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds in a mortar or blender and grind to a coarse powder.
Heat oil in a wok or large saucepan over medium-high heat, add garlic, ginger,ground spice mixture, cumin, chilies, and bay leaves and saute for 20 seconds.Add onion and saute until translucent.
Add the marinated chicken and fry for 4 minutes, then add broth and tomatoes.Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer gently for 35 minutes. Sprinkle withchopped cilantro and serve with rice.