For 10 springrolls
For the pancakes:
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 3/4 cup of flour
Sauce “tim cheong”:
- a long red chile
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoon of plum sauce
- 2 tablespoon of hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoon of oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of fermented soybean paste (tau cheo)
- 150 g of pork, diced
- 500 g of jicama (or sweet peas) cut into julienne strips
- 2 tablespoon of black soy sauce
- 5 tablespoons of sugar
- 125 g deveined medium shrimp, cleaned
- 250 g of firm cooked tofu cut thinly sliced
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 to 10 leaves of green leaf lettuce, washed and dried
- 1 cup of bean sprouts, rinsed and dried
- 1 cup of Julienne cucumber
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup of coarsely chopped fresh coriander
- 1/4 cup of fried shallots
- 1/2 cup of chopped roasted peanuts
- a fried of red onions
For the batter : Mix together water, eggs, salt and oil, add flour and mix well and let the dough rest for at least 1 hour.
To cook pancakes : Heat a skillet over medium heat, add 1/4 cup of batter and to spread, place the pan on the heat and cook until the cake comes off the sides.
It should be lightly browned then remove, repeat the operation with the rest of the dough. Stack the pancakes.
Wrap in plastic and keep covered until ready to serve, they can be stored in the refrigerator for 1 or 2 days.
For the sauce : Remove skin of the red chili, then remove the seed and slice. Peel and mince the garlic. Crush the chili, garlic and add the plum sauce and hoisin sauce. Reserve.
To cook the filling : Beat the eggs and cook to make an omelet. Cut into thin slices and set aside.
Use a mortar or a blender, mix garlic, onion and then add the fermented soy paste.
Add oil in a wok and sauté the mixture for 3 minutes to release flavors. Rinse the jicama, cut into julienne strips and add jicama, tofu, garlic, the shrimps and pork, cook for a few minutes.
Add soy sauce and sugar and cook about 15 minutes until the vegetables have made all their water.
To serve : Place all ingredients in the center of the table. Place the envelopes of popiah near of ingredients. Add a serving of bean sprouts (bangkuang), cilantro, onions, cucumbers, roasted peanuts and scallions, (the guests choose the ingredients according to taste), close the envelope by rolling then dip into the sauce.